If you’re worried about someone else's mental health and wellbeing, there are a number of things you can do in line with the RCM Mental Health Policy and Students of Concern Policy which can be found in the RCM Student Code & Procedures.

What can you do?

  • Are they in immediate danger? If they are in immediate danger or seriously injured, you can call 999. If you are on Royal College of Music premises, you can call for assistance via Reception on 0207 591 4315.
  • Find a safe space. Try and find somewhere they feel safe.

Listen and Talk
  • Listen. Just taking the time to listen to someone and talk about what has happened can help. 
  • Give options. You can encourage the person to seek support, either via the Royal College of Music or externally. We have a team of trained Mental Health First Aiders who can help. Royal College of Music Students can get in touch with Student Services to find out more about support available, including free Counselling support. Royal College of Music staff can access free, confidential, professional help from our Employee Assistance Provider, CiC Confidential Care, 24 hours per day. 


Students and staff can report an issue relating to mental health and wellbeing using the Royal College of Music’s Report and Support system. This will allow us to offer support and/or investigate any mental wellbeing concerns in particular areas. You can choose to do this anonymously or with your contact details. If you choose to report with your contact details, you will be offered the opportunity to talk through the options and support available to you, in confidence.

Get Specialist Support - 
  • GP Support. You can talk to your GP about any concerns you have about your mental health
  • Music Minds Matter. Help Musicians’ Music Minds Matter offers support for anxiety, performance anxiety and depression, and has a 24/7 helpline - 0808 802 8008.
  • Student Minds. The UK’s Student Mental Health Charity, offers information, advice and resources for students.
  • Mind. The UK’s Mental Health Charity offers lots of advice, guidance and resources about mental health.
  • “Shout” text service. Text “SHOUT” to 85258 (24/7) for advice and support for your mental health and wellbeing and access helpful resources on their webpage.
  • London Nightline. Run by students for students, open from 6pm to 8am every night during term-time. Call (+44)207 631 0101 or email listening@nightline.org.uk
  • The Samaritans. Get confidential support in a crisis (24/7) by calling 116 123 or email jo@samaritans.org
  • HopelineUK. Support available from 9am-midnight, via phone: 0800 068 4141, text: 07860 039 967 and email: pat@papyrus-uk.org
  • Call NHS 111. For medical advice.
  • Call an NHS 24-hour Mental Health Crisis Lines (available 24/7). Westminster, Kensington and Chelsea, Hillingdon, Brent, and Harrow:  0800 023 4650 / Ealing, Hammersmith and Fulham and Hounslow:  0800 328 4444
In an emergency call 999 or go to A&E. If you are on Royal College of Music premises call for assistance via Reception on 0207 591 4315.

There are two ways you can tell us what happened